Air Conditioning & Heating
Myths vs. Facts
Due to the few unscrupulous industry representatives and service people who would like nothing better than to take your money in return for little or no quality service or parts, we have included the top myths and facts about your air conditioning and heating products, as well as the filtration systems involved in your home or business.
After reading some of the common misconceptions and realities about your system, don't forget to visit our page on "10 Questions You Should Ask Your Service Repair Technician". At A-1 Tops Air Conditioning and Heating, we believe that the more information you have about your current products makes it easier for you to resolve the problems that may arise. Problems that ordinarily would cause more grief than most situations warrant.
Myth: Units and parts are really not built to accommodate Houston's ever changing conditions and that's why they wear out sooner than they should.
Fact: 9 out of 10 system failures are caused by dirt and dust. Put simply this is an effect of a lack of attention to the necessary annual servicing that your air conditioning and heating units require to maintain peak performance. Clean systems restore capacity and lessen running time, thereby saving you money not only on service and replacement of your unit, but can considerably lower your cooling and heating costs.
Myth: Our units are not in a high commercial or dusty area. There aren't even any trees around so there's really no need to service our units every year.
Fact: A buildup of .042 inches of dirt on a heating or cooling coil can result in a decrease in efficiency of 21% according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Myth: It's the air quality indoors that really matters and we have a clean-air or HEPA filter to handle the quality.
Fact: This is a common misconception. Consider the following:
- Most commercially purchased fiberglass filters are only 7% effective in stooping dirt, dust, pollen, etc., from passing through it.
- 50% of all illnesses are either caused or aggravated by polluted indoor air.
- One out of six people who suffer from allergies do so because of the direct relationship to the fungi and bacteria in air duct systems.
- Legionnaire's Disease was spawned in air conditioning ducts. It killed 29 people in 1976.
- In the summer of 1988 at least 7 people died in the Los Angeles area from Legionnaire's Disease.
Children are more likely than adults to be affected by polluted indoor air. They breathe faster; inhale more air per unit of body weight; and are closer to the ground where polluted concentrations are higher.
- The elderly, asthmatics, and people with breathing problems, allergies, and lung diseases are also likely to be more sensitive to pollutants.
- Most people spend 60-90% of their time indoors.
- Indoor is found to be up to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air.
With all of this in mind, can you really afford to neglect your air conditioning or heating systems? Call A-1 Tops Air Conditioning & Heating's qualified technicians for a complete annual checkup and inspection of your air conditioning and heating units.
Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service (LECS)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
American College of Allergists
Total Health & Better Health Magazines
American Lung Association
Modesto Bee 9/22/88
Department of Consumer Affairs